December 14, 2011

Flying over all of "SMALLVILLE" season one review


If you will recall,
It was right after Turkey day on Black Friday that I had finally decided after seeing a add for it in this year's Comic-Con TV GUID
E special which in truth I can't recall when I picked it up. ( I think was in late August) I remember I had gotten it to see if there was a wee bit of hope beyond hope that the new take on "V" had somehow had been secretly renewed at the last possible second because I just had a feeling that someone had done something to prove ABC of it's fatal mistake in axing the series, but alas it was still X-ed off of the viewing map when I saw inside a DVD second season offered. I wanted to see what else it had inside besides countless previews of new stuff coming (this now, past fall) I seemed to recall seeing a advertisement ad on that show I was watching over this past summer known as "SMALLVILLE". I remember how engrossed I was while watching that final season before leaving for Ecuador, at any rate the ad showed this box set of the whole series coming out it said "this fall". I even waited till almost midnight, but I just couldn't hold out see for after watching the last season of this series, which aired just before I had left for visiting my folks in Cuenca Ecuador with my two nieces Bethany Paige and her older sister Petra I was wanting more. And I was thinking of it as a early Christmas present to a real comic fan.
Luckily for me, while over there I found a way to watch past episodes (that were in English) almost every night or at least in the time frame of when we were at the beaches coming back to the united states
. One last thing before I get into the heart of the review itself I recall that even though I didn't have cable at the time of when promoting the series I did get all of these TV GUIDE covers , that I do know I have in storage.
The series starts out much like how any Superman focused tale does with his coming to our little planet known as earth. In the pilot we see that at Smallville high the school jocks have a frat initiation going on where they have some poor freshman tied to a cornfield scarecrow cross and a very young Lex (also having the name lengthen to Alexander for the character) is running through that very field as a strange ship comes to crash in it. The story then jumps into where the boy found in the strange ship is attending Smallville high himself. Throughout the season you find out out that it's mostly of Clark learning more about some his powers and dealing with helping kids his own age or younger with finding a path for their own lives...If you know the Superman films of the late seventies into the late eighties that Clark's mother Martha Kent is played by Annette O Toole whom played in those who Kristin Kreuk portrays here Clark's Kansas girlfriend Lana Lang. Former Duke boy "Bo" John Schneider plays Johnathan Kent his earth daddy. We come to find out that parts of Krypton that weaken Clark seems to give every human in each story a power effect in someway. The band whom sings the theme appears in the finale as the band invited to preform at the school dance, when the twister strikes and Clark's ship leaves the Kent farm cellar on it own power it leaves one wondering what's coming next?

No comments: