November 09, 2010

Later today, I will be going through dad's things...


Hey, Hey, am I a spider monkey you never really know do ya", isn't that the way that old song by the group known as the Monkies should have be written maybe I am reaching to far for a answer to that one, but I'm really glad to have a day shift at Ably's today. Why?, you ask?, later today my sister Kylie whom I wrote about yesterday will come to pick me up and we or I Matt will be going through some of my dad's (Micheal Joe Byrd) stuff that he had as memories from his own life. Now my brother Micheal & she had gone through what they were wanting yesterday I was at work at the time of while they were there at Charbnneau. Let's follow one of Micheal Byrd's grand children name Bryce
as he leads the troops of his mother and uncle to "Grampi's" room

at Charbnneau. Kylie told me that his place was in pieces of stuff scattered around the place, when we got into there I saw what she meant. Once I was looking around in there I could see how much of my dad I knew from growing up of pictures he had on his walls and his many things like his mounted ducks to his fishing jacket. One thing little Bryce helped me with was he held out my dad last remaining fishing license,

which I found in his glass topp
ed coffee table, to stuff I knew nothing at all about my dad like a Ducks unlimited plague he had that also had a army knife but it held some very special inside it as well his wedding ring to my mother Nancy "powers" Byrd/now Watson. This will be part of the many things shown at his service on Saturday morning (well I guess you all know what Saturday's posting WILL BE ABOUT, even before it ever gets here....) The one thing I got that I wanted really was this a portrait
of my name sake Raymond Byrd now my aunt Betty may have wanted this herself "But we as dad children get first choosing of what's there is in his house" as Kylie said. When Bryce found this

he said "Boy uncle Matt you do love Spider-Man don't ya?" This I had done from a comic cover from when I collected the many different series of Spider-Man back in the day! Kylie wanted one photo

that I should have a little more rights to - more on this in another blog for some other time- "But I don't care really I don't." During this time my sister was on the phone with our mom all the way in Cuenca Ecuador.
Kylie had said to her mom that she found some surprising stuff about our dad that we never knew more on that on Saturday as well, I too chatted with mom for a good twenty minutes as well and one final thing or two, I took was this "very special" Holly Bible that my uncle Jim that was dad's older brother ga
ve it to him. Why is it "very special" your wondering right well, it has actual newspaper clipped weddings in it. One being my dad's
younger sister Judy and her then husband Mitch Hawkins and a very special wedding announcement of Micheal Joe Byrd and Nancy carol Powers dated March 31,1968 for May of that year. The other thing I got was a class of sixty four reunion T-shirt of thirty five years that on the front has RICHLAND BOMBERS but on it's back is the school's first name COLUMBIA HIGH SCHOOL.
At least with these mementos
that I , Micheal and Kylie have we can remember the good times dad had through out his whole life. Truly that what he wants from us to remember of him, right?

1 comment:

Nancy Watson said...

Matt,
This is an excellent post. Thank you for sharing these moments. I love you all very much and my heart is with you as you go through these next days.
Mom