December 02, 2010

My Christmas memories with my dad


I only wish that I could have a few actual photos of our family Christmas's of the past when my dad was alive. Before my folks moved to Cuenca Ecuador we all of the kids Kylie, Lyle, Micheal & yours truly had a great chance of going through many pre digital cameras pictures, Merri got her Christmas stuff that year hand delivered to her by mom and Chuck before they left. I remember quite a few of my memories with dad growing up at Christmas time of the year. I think the best was of was in 1978. I recall my dad and mom got me a Dukes of Hazzards "ERTL, racing track.(that was the name of the company that put out Dukes of Hazzards toys.) I remember when dad and Micheal my brother were putting it together at the Hoxie house where we lived back then. The following year in nineteen seventy nine I remember getting two of Marvel's big named characters of you know who was popular back then I would hope was a Green "Purple panted" Monster & A webby Spider-dude, they both had Velcro hands and feet I also remember getting some Mister Rodger's venial records that were just so cool as well. I also remember getting a Huge Loin in 1980 that was like the "Win" at a fair size, and earlier that same summer at "six flags over Georgia" my grand daddy won me a regular sized one which I named LEO the loin so when I got the bigger one I just decided to call him BIG LEO or maybe it was papa Leo I'm not sure now but it was one of the two for sure that I do remember. I remember in nineteen eighty four my dad got me the MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE Snake Mountain playset, and in the following year he gave me the Evil Horde Fright Zone
playset. It was after this time that we were living in Maryland and he came to visit us as his Christmas present to us kids he admitted "He was glad we only had a year to six months left being there and that it was cold too." In nineteen eighty eight I got the Lou Graham auto cassette album which has the hit "Just between you and me" which I loved since I first heard it on the radio in the earlier part of that year. In the later part of the early nineteen nineties he got me a few "How to draw comics" and "Cartooning the human body", he got me these for he knew I loved drawing and wanted to be a comic artist in someway or other- Boy I wonder where that Idea came from huh? Anyway I always knew my dad tried showing his love at Christmas time as much and best he could and most all of the time he won every year hands down as far I was concerned.

No comments: