October 06, 2012

A mile walk in a local park for a good cause





Hello out there,
   Last weekend at my Men Breakfast at my church Cathedral of Joy one of my friends had told me about a walk for kids down at Howard Amon park on the other side of town. I decided to talk to him a little more about it since he kind of left a open window on the option of going, after discussing it further with him I had felt the need from my inner being to help with whatever this walk consisted of? Later throughout the rest of this past week I saw an ad on television for what it was. It is a walk with kids who have Down Syndrome and raising awareness about it in our own community and at this event they happen to have a celebrity to help bring even more awareness as well. That celebrity is a man by the name of Chris Burke.     
Now his name may sound a bit familiar to you in another way because back in the late 1980'sto the very early 90's television series "Life Goes On" it was the first tv series to have a actor wit Down Syndrome in it. 

Here I am with my friend Jeremy whom I mentioned earlier as telling me of this event,it seems as if you can't tell we look like brothers for real with those shirts bandanas and of course our eye wear, but we're brothers in  Spirituality in Chris although it's hard to tell by a given picture alone. The walk was a mile around Richland we started on the walking path by the river and went up out of the park by where a hotel named the Handford House was and walked around by a restaurant known as Strelings and continued by John Damn Park and across the corner of city hall and the police station to across the way from some old furniture store and back down into the park itself. Along the way they had cardboard signs with the kids photos on them. Here is Jeremy's daughter Clair and her boyfriend Taylor 


in front their  sign. At the end of the walk was food in the way of a hot dog and your choice of chips and a choice of water or a soda. I wound up sticking around tthere longer than Jeremy did after having lunch with him and Clair down by where we started the race.  I had decided to stay and get a little movie of Mister Burke performing at a part of the park known famously as the Finger Nail http://youtu.be/45hsV_CAIwc
and I decided afterwards to get the best way to remember meeting him even though  I choose not to shake his hand or get a photo with him (that would have been nice though) I went with a bookmark since I love reading so much as I do.  

No comments: