April 18, 2012

How can one feel Super when....

Talk about feeling like a broken human,
Boy don't I know how to say this but I felt like today was my most cursed day in working at Albertson's. As you know I try as best as humanly possible to do my tasks as worthy full as I can,yet today I know with a doubt I feel like a battled warhorse. I still can't say it enough but today as a caring human being to another I simply failed BIG TIME. And not in just one way but two! I want to share the one that giving me a chance for not feeling like a horse's you know what? It was just after my lunch I just was outside grabbing up carts, to be specific it was our "Mini" style carts which we are soon I'm hoping will repair most of the others out behind the store because all of the costumers love them even though the few employees known as Bagger people which I'm apart of find these how can I say it a bit annoying at least when the weather is so bad, or when we are super busy either way these are at least my least favorite times of having them, still everyone loves these anyway for quick trips which I gotta say is wonderful too. Sorry I didn't mean to detour from my tale, so as I was getting these I noticed a elderly customer getting out of her car. I could tell she was having some trouble getting out of her vehicle, so I said to her "Do you want one of these?", as she was nodding I came right over with one to give a balancing brace to get into the store with. I was helping my boss bag a order when I had heard a checker call out "Carry Out please" to find out it was the very same lady I had gave the "mini cart" to just outside. I walked her to our entrance way to see she was starting to go in the wrong direction of going out,so I lightly grabbed the cart as if it were a feather and gentle guided her to the right set of doors as I was helping her she said I was going to fast, I really knew I wasn't but I still relaxed my grip just to please her. As we went down the slope to the asphalt part of the parking lot my worst fear had happen she fell as I was trying to catch her before her feet slummed out from beneath her. Five other customers rushed over to help her I felt as if all my strength had vanished I just was "Oh God where are my super powers when I need them at a time like right now..." One the other that was helping her asked me "What should you do?,get help from the front desk" I could only hope that some from inside had seen what had happen because I was full of shock at trying also help the lady up. Luckily the other courtesy helper who was with me came out and my co worker and another customer helped her to her vehicle after I pointed out where it was. Of course we all asked "if she was fine?" She had said she was but I still went back to ask for help with at the same time feeling guilty at myself for not listening to her from before we left to the parking lot. I still carried that guilty feeling in my mind and gut throughout the rest of my shift. For as soon as I got back in the front end was needing help again. My co worker I'm guessing is who informed the customer service desk and from there everything else was taken down by the on duty Grocery manger for store records I just had a real low bit of you deserve something negativity to happen and it did in the form of teasing after I got off for the day. As to the other thing that went sour was before my lunch,a young woman of twenty five or so came through my boss checkout in tears saying as I was helping her unload that she had just had a fight with her boyfriend she had told me this because I could see how torn up she was after we goofed on giving five percent from her earned Easter rewards I took her to customer service to help get it the indecent resolved I even said "I would be happy to help you out if you want.." she said "sure I guess OK ,maybe..." so I kept my eye both on helping my boss with the bagging and to see when she was headed out. I think she left because her boyfriend called again or something and didn't see her leave,but for her I hope her day got better and I hope it did for that elder lady too. For heaven knows I just don't feel like I had the best day at work in a very long time.

1 comment:

Nancy Watson said...

Matt,

I know how meticulous you are, so having a day like this would be a big problem for you. Just know that you always try your best and everyone has a bad day from time to time.

Mom