August 21, 2008

A small bit of history of the real Yamato






Hey how's everyone,
This is connected to A little show called Star Blazers an ongoing saga.... How many people know about Japanese war history, Well one part I knew a lot about was of course their bringing America into W.W. II with the bombing of Pearl Harbor on Dec.7 1941, & how we ended the war by bombing them in August 6, 1945 in Hiroshima & Nagasaki three days later. I know a lot about world war II besides Japan's part but, that's what I want talk about here. When I was in my last year of junior high slash starting my first year of high school we were living on the east coast, I met a woman in a toy store who had on a white T-shirt that had the ship from Star Blazers on it, I ran & found my mom we talked for about a half hour about Star Blazers we exchanged information to come to find out she knew a huge lot about the original stuff from Japan & that she had been visiting there from time to time. She let me make copies of her Yamato/Star Blazers videos (boy doesn't that sound old school, by today's standards).
Anyway this is about the real battleship Yamato not fictional right now, so I'd go to the library back then & go to the history selection to find out what I could about that ship called the Yamato some of the stuff I short of knew but it wasn't much. Then my folks found the coolest book ever on great battleships and gave to me as a Christmas present because it had a selection on the Yamato in it. I found out that when it was sunk on April 7,1945 at 14:25 p.m. (That's 2:25 in civilian or standard time meaning not related to military). It was said to have had 16 inch guns on it's front when in relatively it had 18 inch guns on it's front, but newspapers in the USA didn't know of the latter till after she was destroyed. She and her sister ship were both given only enough fuel for a one way trip , but her fueling crews had put in enough for her to return. She was attack by American bomber planes. I myself found out when finding these pictures here on the internet that her construction was started in 1937, Also that one the crew members that survived wrote a book of their own account of the Real Yamato's missions & now that I know of it, I hope that I can find a English copy of that book which may be impossible I know but it would be nice to add to my Yamato collection regardless of what language it would be in.

No comments: