September 05, 2008

Why do I love Spider-man over any other comicbook character ( pt.1: Spidey & Me of 5)






How is it that I Matt can like/love one comic book character over all others?, Well here's why I that I feel comfortable sharing. I grew up with Peter Parker, that's Spider man for those of you who don't who he is? the character is really 10 years older than me but to me that doesn't matter I still love him more than ANY comic book character. I mean sure don't get me wrong I like all comic books & their characters. It's that Superman, Hulk, Batman, Spawn, & all the rest still can't in their own way affect as Spidey did/does. I was first introduced to the Spiderman character in in 1976, through a coloring book as I've talked in another one of my blogs. When I was living in Georgia in between living in Highpoint North Carolina & Washington state we were going to see my mother's brother Norman & his family in Savannah Georgia we stopped at a K-Mart all the kids on that trip got to choose something to keep them entertained while there visiting. One other memory I have from that said trip was riding with my cousin Brad he was 14 or 15 at the time on his motorcycle in their backyard. I then can remember a in '79 when we living in Washington state & visiting in Georgia there was a new mall opening there & they had pics with you know who? while my sister was afraid of you know who I let him take me & Choke hold his unbeknowtest fan for a Polaroid photo. Two or three years went by without me not knowing spidey in very small ways I remember playing with the Mego Spider-man toys in '81 with the girls across the street, (their mother I think or maybe it was me that picked up Amazing Spider-man the comicbook when I went shopping with them once). I remember watching "Spider-Man & his amazing friends" back then too. I'd known a small bit about the newspaper comic strip when it ran in Seattle. I even remember the very short lived Live Action Spider-man with Nicholas Hammond & yes also I watched Spidey on the Electric Company as well. I even recall having a gaint black & white reproduced comic panel of Spidey vs the Fantastic Four's main villain DR. Doom to color when I was in the third grade. I know that in 1985 just after my mother had remarried I saw at PAY N" SAVE a Spider-man secret wars action figure this was the first time I seen him in the New Black & white suit, that would be very important in the story years laters. We then moved to Maryland & then & then I had really gone into a Spider Man overload . I started collecting comics later that year, but not right away with the wall crawler,one of spidey's many nicknames by the way. I think what drew me back to Spidey as a comic book collector was that in the Newspaper strip he was going to get Married to his girl Mary Jane Watson.

No comments: