January 02, 2010

what is the meaning of this Spider-Man tease?

Hey All,
I wanted to show you all something that Marvel comics just recently was teasing all Spider-Man fans with at the end of last year in two thousand nine. I 'll show you something from the end of two thousand seven after their story of "Back in Black",
which was where Peter dealt with everything in his own black suit that is like the one similar to the one he brought back from the Beyonder's planet in nineteen eighty four's "Secret Wars"
Which turned out to be a living symbiote which later became his arch nemesis: Venom.
Then
in the aftermath of his decision to show the whole world who he was in Civil War

his aunt May is shot by an assassin's bullet meant for him. In March of that year to Nov which were summer months SPIDERMAN 3 came out.

So Marvel came up with a way to promote the Black suit for the movie and that is how that story came to be known as "Back in Black" which had truly only one great issue as far as I was concerned it was the second to last issue of "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man" where Peter tells Jonah Jameson to give Robbie "Joe" Robertson his job back at the Daily Bulge as city editor by having Jameson beat the tar outta Peter to show how much Jameson hates Vigilantes as he does almost everything else in his life. Jameson gives Peter a choice he'll either rehire "Joe" Robertson or the lawsuit he has against Peter. Knowing that Jameson will rehire Robertson anyway he choose the drop of the lawsuit, Jameson filed a direct lawsuit against Parker from the moment he saw who was under the spider-man mask from at the end of Civil War issue two but what Jonah doesn't know is that Peter has caught this whole indecent on film with his camera & gives Jonah the roll.


Before I share with you all of how "ONE MORE DAY" came about I want share with you of a time when a blogmiestor found his love fo
r his first Marvel hero. Now back when Marvel first wanted the Webhead married I was living in Gaitherburg Maryland that was back in nineteen eighty seven/eighty eight well to say as a kid I wasn't really happen was a understatement for a while at first it had at least seemed that way to me, but things over time change and I came to like living there when I found things I liked there like friends, seeing monuments that I can't ever see here in Washington State. During that Spring Break time of the year we went to go see my mother's cousin in Pennsylvania while there I happen to pick this up
After coming back to Gaitherburg Maryland I'd found out that Spidey was married in the newspaper strip as well, we got the Washington Post which had not one page of funnies it had three that I remember. I don't know for sure, but the paper may still have three pages of funnies. There was a comic shop I visited in Silver Spring Maryland for my comic buying it was known as the Barbarian I got these two as well.

Now let's not get to far ahead of ourselves and let's come full circle back to two thousand seven Then of course came the story that has just a smack/kick to every and any spider-man fan that has followed the character from his very beginnings. Peter Parker, Mary Jane Watson Parker, & Peter's elderly Aunt were fugitives on the run since Peter went and switched sides at the end Civil War which after searching for a way to save Aunt May from the gun shot leads no where in all the superheroes Peter knows this included also all of the villains he knew of with magical resources as well through "ONE MORE DAY" he decided to make a deal with the Devil known as Mephisto,

which is a Ghost Rider foe more than a Spider-man foe what the deal was Mephisto would restore Aunt May to full health for a price of something from Peter & Mary Jane themselves that they held dear. It so turned out that he wanted their strongest part of love, their marriage but right after "One More Day's story line", Marvel had this teasing poster that truly answered nothing of what it said. Now just so you all know Marvel's Editor in Chief Joe Quesada thinks that only thing that was keeping new readers from jumping on board Marvel's flagship title was the Spider-Marriage so he decided to make the marriage simply disappear with the book going now with three times a month with this banner across the top
"BRAND NEW DAY", this sure as all get out pissed & still does long term fans of the character that they have come to know him Peter Parker as a friend feel cheated of how editorially his transition into the next decade was set up. Stan Lee the creator of Spider-Man did for a while in two thousand eight make Peter Parker single at least for a while in the newspaper strip, because of the fan mail to him wanted the Spider-Marriage back someplace he reinstalled it via a dream, over Memorial day weekend in May two thousand and nine. Unfortunately the comic book version has remained single since his deal with Mephisto, when the first arc of the first story in "Brand New Day" started they had this two page spread after the story.
Being that how was this going to work when everyone was so use to having Mary Jane in the picture was a stake driven into all die hard fans in someway or other, but to ADD fuel to this fire of the new Single Spidey to work Marvel went and had their story from "One More Day" have a twist in it with a book that's called "WHAT IF?" in these stories the company goes and puts a twist to a Marvel universe character story of old with a different outcome from the originally told story although like I've said this time it just felt like more of the same if not worse! Here is what that "WHAT IF?" cover looked like
and without telling you how bad this book was I picked up a copy of this only to find I like being in the what's now known on the internet as a whole in Spider-Man circles as "ANTI -BND supporter" but still here was the opening page to that "WHAT IF?" Marvel even had a character running around the "Brand New Day verse", that went by the name of "JACKPOT"

and wanted Spider- fans to believe she was a version of Mary Jane with super powers. When Peter Parker & Mary Jane first met back in the sixties because of their aunts setting them up on a blind date well I'll let the picture say it for me,
but come to find out it wasn't Mary Jane at all.
In fact Mary Jane made only one brief appearance when "BND"was in full swing she made her cameo in issue Amazing Spider-Man number five hundred sixty "Brand New Day had started with issue five hundred forty six. Still both Peter & MJ had typical luck and never saw each other. We of course in the real world had a change in our political system while Spidey's been through some hum dingers over this time as well, Marvel itself decided to put their two cents worth in the on goings of our first African American President Barack Obama but to me it just seem like the man who destroyed the wall crawler was able to gloat once again instead of having two takes on Spider-man meeting the Prez we have only one. At the end of Amazing Spider-Man five hundred eighty three we were treated to a three page story where Spidey stops by during the new president's inauguration.
( I do by the way have a blog about that very issue in the works as to when I'll have it out is still up in the air for now anyway). Spider-Man's stories at the start of this change were poorly accepted by me but every now again I would peek at the trades that they put out hoping to find some glimpse of a good story or Mary Jane again but no such luck till issue six hundred. Where they have the greatest disgrace in the Spider-Man comic book universe with Peter Parker's Aunt May marring Jonah Jameson's father. Who's the lucky gal to catching May's flowers it's none other than the one person Quesada would rather not seeing catching wedding flowers in Spidey world Mary Jane Watson the sad thing was that after that anniversary issue of a somewhat happiness for Spidey aunt we get a story where Peter remembers about meeting Mary Jane somewhere but because he was wasted from the wedding he blows it off. Then after three more issue he realizes he yet again can't win at love in his life because of his being a hero.
Also in two thousand eight just six months into the "Brand New Day" event happening the magazine of comics, entertainment and pop culture known as WIZARD had a article in issue number two hundred and four titled SPIDER-MAN The Great Debates and here is what two of the polls said. On how do fans like the new depiction of Spider-Man stories the poll for the story lines was most fans not just me either said 74% that they just didn't care for how messed up Spidey was they won't give BND a chance. Now don't get me wrong here a hero struck with a boat load of problems is cool just how we got here is distasteful. The second poll was even more hard pressed than that of the first one with just the opposite reaction and yet it just shows how wrong comic publishers are. The second poll was about why Marvel had just changed "All Spider history", was because one certain big wig in of the editing thinks as he says it "Marriage ages comic characters too much and kids can't relate to a married type of superhero". That second poll asked of course should Spider-Man be hitched and here's what the responds amounted to.
Right after Christmas there was a lot of stir on the internet on most comic sites or even Spider-Man themed sites as this image called a Spider puzzle was leaked from Marvel from their home site Marvel.com.
Many people started posting that what ever this was, it was a part of more than likely to lead to no answer yet still from "One More Day" at all still. Others me included thought perhaps Marvel was about to admit something about their own take of the direction of Spider-Man's stories since their re conning of the character to being single. ( Boy with the final puzzle pieces it's still awesome to say in the least as to where are they going with the life of Mister Parker & his alter ego.) From this little tease it got Spider- Fans all wondering what are they going to do?
Then the next day the second puzzle piece of this Spider puzzle appeared on the net and spurred a lot more questions. Since it was a puzzle that was the image it seemed only fair to throw out the pieces to make it whole, already we as fans had the upper left piece which had Spider-man's many different costumes incarnations. What did the next puzzle piece have on it?

As you can see that second puzzle piece had what looks like a unmasked Spidey reaching for something or is it a possible someone? Please will you the reader of this tell me what you spot in these puzzle pieces and I know a lot of you are not comic buffs like me and for you LOST fans you are welcome to give me your best guesses as well. If anyone can give me your insightful thoughts would be so rewarding. Then the third piece of this Spider puzzle came out and here is what it looked like , it seems as if that reptile eye from that open piece of the puzzle from the bottom the second part of the puzzle turned out to be rather monstrous doesn't it? This is one of Spider-Man's greatest friends as well as one of his most vicious foes his name in his human form is Curt Conners, but as seen here he is known as the Lizard. Still what is it that the unmasked hero is reaching for? On the last day of two thousand we happen to get two final pieces to the Spider puzzle wait shouldn't there just be one right? well yes and no at the same time here is the final Spider Puzzle piece where it should be but with pieces still outta places Oh hey look there isn't that surprising that Spidey would be reaching for his former wife Mary Jane Watson is what he's trying to get a hold of from in the other puzzle pieces from day two & day three what could it mean all together I wonder? Finally here is the fully completed Spider-Man teasing puzzle of two thousand ten.
How come is it that I care so very much for the Spider Marriage like a lot of Anti BND fans do? For I know I keep writing about here at "Day life of the Matt" in disgust but at the same time I have never put into my own view or words what a positivist aspect it has had on my own ways of looking at marriage as a whole from a fairy tale way looking at it or not. More on that though in a few minutes I want to say that the way the end of the spider marriage should have been handled like another comic story from about as old as the Spider man marriage itself, which was over twenty three years ago. This story however was over in the D.C. comics universe it was the Bat-Man story of nineteen eighty eight that let Bat- Man fans, yes I just said the fans NOT the EDITORS determined the fate of one of the characters closest to Bruce Wyane's world and his very being to the core. The story was titled BATMAN: A DEATH IN THE FAMILY, this was like Spider-man's "One More Day" story arc of four issues long it dealt with the "then" man in the Boy wonder or as he's better known Robin costume known since nineteen eighty five as Jason Todd "Whoa had Robin's original secret identity of Dick Greyson died himself? or what your asking yourself scratching your head right?, because Greyson had been Robin since the nineteen forties yes but in nineteen eighty three Bruce let him go lead a group of teenage heroes known at Teen Titans but in a whole new hero guise known as Night Wing. Well Jason was very much hated by the fans and the Bat titles were at a conscientiously at a low selling point so yes there was a edited story written to fix the said problem, in some way or other fashion. In part one of "A Death in the family", Jason used the Bat computer to try find his true mother while Bruce was certain he'd only find despair if the boy looked to far into this no matter what or how he thought of Jason's quest of personal touch and go as it were because Jason was using a list of women felons as his search pattern as his only source of reference. By book three of this story we see that Robin's found his true mother working with the dynamic duo's greatest foe the one and only Joker. Who as seen here beats
the life out of "the boy wonder" but still goes further still by well I wanna tell you but I want you to find out for yourselves as well, I'm sure many you won't run out to pick up this in trade format anytime soon, so what happens is that the Joker blows up the shack that Robin & his mother are in. That very issue had this instead of the regular comic letter page to end the very issue
I'm very DEAD SURE a whole bunch of Spider-fans could have wished that they could of had a fan poll type of vote for the Spider Marriage instead of what the company did pull off! I know how I would have voted as if you didn't already know for the Marriage. As to how the poll of Jason Todd's Robin living or dying went it was this many votes five thousand, three hundred forty three "YES" to five thousand, two hundred seventy one "NOS" and Jason Todd was subsequently murdered by the Joker. Part four of "A Death in the Family" opened with this as it's splash page.
Right now in the Amazing Spider-Man comics they have a storyline called "THE GAUNTLET" where all of Spidey classic foes are coming together to attack him first as individually then all at once. The story started in issue six hundred and twelve through to six hundred and twenty six there will be at least twelve more issues before Marvel Comics gives us their reasoning as to why Spider-Fans CAN'T HAVE a fairy tale hope for themselves through their hero that they look up to for inspiration of being a hero themselves in their own lives. Also why did it have to take three years to get here? This is what I'm aching for? I read in USA TODAY newspaper at the end of January that Marvel will have their heroes return to being heroes again after seven years of grim story lines around May, two thousand ten with I do hope that with this story line for Spider-Man Quesada will at least have something of a Single Spider-Man title book for those who like him that way and a hopefully Married Spidey title so that fans of the webhead can have a choice for what ever their taste is for the wall crawler. Now I did say something of how I see Marriage would be shared here and I plan not to disappoint anyone because when I say something I try to follow through especially with a important subject matter such as that! Now just so you all know this for everyone's benefit who reads this, you don't have to be single or separated in your current relationship to at least think about taking note with my own advice here just hopefully you'll find a way to apply it to your future relationships in your own ways. For me I've always in some way or other felt conflictual views on marriage as a whole because I have always felt the need to being perfect for that special young lady in my life, well this type of thought is as wrong as everything else in our world can be. It took me till the age of thirty four to truly realize this, for before this I'd go out and party by dancing or listening to live comedy so in my own way I was wild & crazy at least to myself I know that many of you in your youth had your own fix on tolerances how you lived your life. For me when I was thirty four I was tired of all that kind of fun but still never having any true relationships in that romantic way with any female, so I reached very very deep inside myself and decided I needed to relearn what relationships were about and the importance of making one work, so I picked up Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus by John Grey after reading this and other relationship focus type of books I feel I understand what makes us as a individuals flow when we want to focus on any kind of a relationship romantically driven or not and what that is WE ALL HAVE LACK OF COMMUNICATION where it needs to be when building these type of relationships. Communication between two individuals is what helps us to build trust in the relationships we hope to have from that said person we want to be with. I am still happy being single myself for now because I haven't found the young lady I want to share all communication with just yet, but I know one day I will. As for me from the age of sixteen I know how I want to propose to that special young lady I found it in a Amazing Spider-Man comic book no less, it's from the first time Peter proposes to Mary Jane way back in the late seventies , at least I hope that she will know when I'm ready that her favorite junk food will have a interesting something with it, but of course it will have to come back to how well we communicate back and forth as well to. No whoever she will be also she doesn't need to be like Mary Jane either, she'll have to be who she is and vise visa I have to be me Matt not some kinda hero like Spider-Man or whoever? In my next few Spider- Blogs I will be taking a whole leap forward and showing you all what Joe Quesada wants NEVER to see Peter & Mary Jane become, but I've been trying to think of a great posting name for myself for these comic themed blogs here are two I came up with please tell me what you think of them: SPIDER-MATT? or SPIDER: 47? You LOST FANS or and ALIAS Fans should hopefully know whose favorite number that is? Now here is part of that NEVER to see portion of growth Quesada wants to keep away from:
Don't worry you'll all find out whose holding Spidey here soon enough?, but with tomorrow being Love Day when everyday should be just as Special, I want to wish everyone who does read these postings a Happy Valentine's Day from the only way I know how from my hero & Matt have a terrific Valentine's day
, in every and any type of Spider way as well as your normal way of celebrating this sweet lovely day.






















1 comment: