February 19, 2023

Thinking about a great Anime creator

 Hello All,                                                                                                                                                       I just a few minutes ago I went an changed my profile and cover images on Facebook to this: 

my favorite anime from the series called Star Blazers here in America and all other parts of the world outside, (well maybe of course,  I am going by my best thoughts and hunches on some of that very statement) of it's home country of Japan. There it is called Space Battleship Yamato for the animated series and the Manga that is what comics are known as over there in Japan, it comic series forum is called  Cosmo ship Yamato written by  anime creator Arkia Matsumoto. Who like American comic creator Stanley Martin Lieber went an legally changed his name Stan Lee, Arkia went an decided like Lieber to use a pen name or what is known as a pseudonym till he became the artist he was wanting to be. He chose Leiji as his first name and was fine with his own family last name for his newest venture into being an creative artist. Leiji besides creating stories about his favorite real life battleship known as Yamato he created other great works of fiction, yet just a little less than an hour ago I had surprisingly found out that he had passed away on February 13th 2023.                                                                                                                                        Leiji was born on January, twenty fifth, in nineteen thirty eight during Japan's pre war building of World War II time in the city known as Kurume in the part of the Japanese district ( I am thinking?), or maybe it is a city too...  called  Fukuoka, Japan. Now a few years ago before the world wide pandemic known as Covid my folks and I were able to travel to Japan for one my many vacations from Safeway where I work, when at the time it was most definitely a store by the name of Albertson's. One thing that I or even my folks may not have known was if we were anywhere near either of Fukuoka or Kurume the two cities themselves, after all we were only there in Japan for a week... so who knows for certain? Back to the early life of Arkia/ Leiji Matsumoto when he was still very young in life, the actual battleship Yamato was built in secret and was completed in     

                   September nineteen forty one in Matsumoto's city of Kurume. He was four years of age  back then. Here is a scene from the original space cruiser yamato animation series for that in Star Blazers is edited out  
because of showing actual history for Japanese audiences of their love for feeling strong of their battleship. As you can see one the two people looks to be a young child and the other maybe a father or perhaps a grandfather as the Yamato sails off to her fate. I truly believe that when Leiji was writing the original series of space cruiser yamato and he was writing this sequence of yamato leaving port the little boy must be himself. Only that the boy in the scene is maybe older than he actually was.                                                                                Besides making comics and animes about his love of his country's historical time with an uplifting bit of creativity hope, Leiji also made other science fiction series and Mangas and anime series. One those other series he went an interconnected with Space Battleship Yamato was Space pirate Captain Harlock. In fact here is a image of all         

 of Leiji Matsumoto science fiction vessels... and yes there is a space train above Harlock's ship known as Arcadia is the GE999 from the series called Galaxy Express 999. Which is about a train that makes stops throughout the Andromeda galaxy, it's about a boy chasing his father's killer, also in a few of the television episodes of the series Harlock's crew are passengers... both Galaxy Express 999 and the Harlock's series were made in nineteen seventy seven while Space Battleship Yamato and it's sequel, were put in production in animation forum in nineteen seventy four just two years after I was born. Now as to the space blimp that is the same color scheme as the Yamato, I can only understand it's purpose as a decoy/smaller Yamato/Argo in the quest for Iscandar episode of when the gamilons are using space mines to stop the Star Force. As to the space blimp's actual comic story origin I am at a lost? Back last year in October at my comic store of Adventures Underground I had forgotten that I had ordered this book     

     seen here on the upper right of my coffee table. It from my skimming through it has all three of the Japanese comics that the originally was published in nineteen seventy one through to nineteen seventy three before Leiji Matsumoto went and made the anime in nineteen seventy four, except the whole book is in English.                                                                      There is a very interesting thing that Matsumoto did with his female heroines in all of his stories that save the distance planet or train stations in need of help. The thing that as I am writing about his passing because of  acute heart failure, at the age of eighty five and trying to decide if I am wanting to share of his female heroines that he had a special connection with in my remembrance of him, or will I want to reveal whatever it is about them in their given series that they represent? You and I will really have to wait for when I review each his said series for the answer. And yes I have been watching Star Blazers over the last few months.....                                                                                                                    
                                           

No comments: