January 12, 2009

What got me back into reading comics again is a little book named "CIVIL WAR"






Hey There all,
As you all know who know me know that I'm a very BIG COMIC buff, I've shared in another series of blogs who my fav is you wouldn't know it with the photos I've posted related to this one who that might be, huh? Well I had officially stop collecting comics in June of 2,000 I really didn't want to because I knew that the writing was starting to take all comics into a better form of characterization & also finally the comic genre itself had started producing quality motion pictures just a year or two earlier, But the real reason I stopped collecting was because of COST alone. Let me tell you when I started collecting back in the late eighties it went from seventy five cents to a dollar which was fine, the industry had the Artists supporting them into mid nineties. And in that time frame closer to the early nineties a new comic company came about named IMAGE as well.
The stories back in the eighties and nineties also had a stable of general continuity within each main comic book that flowed well into the next arc of any given character even when a crossover came about stuff got shaken up a bit, but still paid off to most everyone's liking. Two years ago in my main comic book that I have loved since forever simply known, as the Amazing Spider-Man really decided to SHAKE UP EVERY BIT OF SPIDER History with a storyline called this story REALLY HAS SPARKED flames of disgust among Spider-fans the world over. Why your asking right?, it's how the story was executed from the start that was fine I mean Aunt May yet may be dying for the umpteenth time, and Marvel wanted to get Spider-Man back to basics, and THEY DID IT WAS/IS SO marriageable WRONG! AT the end of OMD to set things right Peter Parker did the unthinkable he made a deal with the Devil to save his aunt by agreeing to ,


well I will let the panels speak for themselves, (I will get back to these in a moment). Before this was a story line called "BACK IN BLACK" here is a rare transnational piece of comic art

I wish I could have, but alas since the story is so wide known as the most controversial Spider-Man story in the past decade "One More Day" that is that cover shown above has sold out at comic retailers even online sites don't have access to it now either. Back to a real quick sum up of "One More Day" Aunt May suffers a gunshot wound from at the end of "Back in Black" storyline meant for Peter her nephew who is Spidey and is on the run from the law with his wife Mary Jane as well has tried to find any kind of help to save May's life. As shown in those panels above both he and Mary Jane give their love or Marriage to the devil, before they agree they see their future child known as "Baby May" (which is who the on/off Spider-Girl: series is based on) is "non cannon now" because editor in chief Joe Queasda wants the Spider-Man character to relate more to younger children than all spider-fans combined. He wants to have the character of Peter Parker act stupid and never grow up and be looking at adult related material and type of jokes while living with Aunt May (This right here alone, was the reason I gave up on the character when I read the reviews of his directions after hearing of where "One More Day" was headed. I in fact have all but part 2 of the story and I still will/would refuse to read it at all because I think this is poor treatment of any comic character. Maybe someday I will tell my own version of how Peter and Mary Jane get back together and still have fun while they find out where Baby May is for in regular continuity Peter and Mary Jane believe that their daughter is dead at birth, but is she really?) So now after a year of telling you of why I like and loved the character of Spider-Man you all know why I can't stand to look at another Spider-Man comic story till one of two things ever should happen but I know that they won't at least for a very long time anyway and they are this: #1, Hopefully the originator of Marvel Comics main heroes yes including SPIDER-MAN himself, none other than comic genius Stan Lee who for now seems to be following a single Peter Parker in the newspaper daily strip as well for the moment
,but even pretending that the marriage wasn't real was hard enough as you can see here as Stan puts Parker and the fans through what can only be a "Time Slip" or perhaps a "It a dreaming nightmare that Peter is having?", I don't know yet. Tells Queasda that he is fired NOT only as a comic editor, but also as entertainer in everything or anything relating to comics, hopefully one day Stan will be pleasing the fans with the marriage yet again the the newspaper strip soon. And #2 would be if Marvel sales plummet in all other characters that they own wouldn't that be grounds for TERMINATION on the spot alone, but will that happen as well only time will tell for sure? Now what Pray Tell brought me back to liking comics again was a tale that brought all hell loose on every Marvel Hero not just Peter Parker's alter ego: It is known as Simply "CIVIL WAR"
as to what it is completely about all I can say is I am VERY EAGER TO FIND OUT and when I do you know I will let you in on the aftermath some given day, but for now I can tell you this it is my reintroduction into all things MARVEL.

1 comment:

Matt said...

I'm really happy that even though this took close to Two years coming to being published, I finally was able to put my feelings into words as to WHY I DON'T LOVE SPIDER-MAN'S FORESEEABLE DIRECTION GOING NOWHERE!
NUFF SAID!